What is a Superficial Life Coach?

What is a superficial life coach you ask? Well, before I dive into it, please know that I am using this term in jest because the word superficial itself often has a negative connotation. One definition is literally listed as "not showing any depth of character or understanding". Well, I'm here in defense of the superficial: that which exists at the surface level. Without it, we wouldn't have first impressions which can lead to second impressions which can lead to lifelong connections, friendships, and relationships if we are lucky. Without surface level intrigue, we as humans wouldn't have the desire to find out what's beneath. And while yes, Barbie may have been a superficial bitch (according to Urban Dictionary), that bitch sure knew how to dress the part, drive a multi-billion dollar business, and rock a plethora of blonde hair, all of which I can only aspire to do here in 2018. So come along with me as I attempt to pull my superficial life together. With the exterior taken care of, we are freeing up motivation, drive and brainspace to improve what's beneath, and that, my friends, is what it's really all about.

 A little bit about me: I am a 20-something (for a few more months at least...) Minneapolis transplant living my best life as a young professional. Traveling, urban exploring, staying active and navigating life with my soon to be husband is how I spend my time in this great midwest city.

 FAQ: (again, a term I use in jest since I will be lucky to have readers in the double digits let alone "frequently" asked questions but it still felt like an appropriate term to use here)

Why did you transplant to Minneapolis?
Superficial Answer: Because I got a kick-ass job at Target Corporate, every girl's dream company.
What Lies Beneath: I moved for young puppy love, and while that didn't quite work out, moving to Minneapolis was the best thing that ever happened to me. While I love and miss my roots in Chicago, I'm officially a Minnesota girl now.

Why are you gluten free?
Superficial Answer: Because I tried cutting it in the summer of 2016 and it literally changed my life. I haven't looked back since.
What Lies Beneath: For years I was suffering from digestive issues. I was constantly bloated to the point of physical pain and couldn't pin point the trigger. Turns out, I have an autoimmune condition called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - don't google it unless you want to go down a rabbit hole of WebMD details that chronicle symptoms ranging from exhaustion, mental "fogginess", non-specific aches and stiffness in muscles and joints, and beyond. Aka: being a human? But really, removing gluten has alleviated many of these "non-specific" symptoms for me. And sure, it's easier to stay slim when you literally can't give in to those office donuts or the bread basket at dinner but believe me, there are plenty of GF baked goods out there these days that do the trick for sugar and carb cravings. So, if you are looking at going gluten free for weight loss, please don't. You'll probably just end up eating more preservatives and "tapioca maltodextrin' which is a random ingredient I just pulled off the label of my beloved frozen Udi's GF bread that I save for special occasions. But really, just eat the damn whole grain bread if you can. And yes, Monday night avocado toast dinner when the fiancee has boys night is considered a special occasion.

What are some of your favorite places in Minneapolis?
Superficial Answer: See my blog posts here.
What Lies Beneath: The Mill City Farmer's Market. I can pinpoint the exact moment in my life when I realized I was truly happy in "my" city, proud of the woman I had become, and damn proud of being a single young professional who had taken a leap that brought me to where I was at that point in my life. It was a perfect fall day and I had just ventured to the market on my own, picked up an iced coffee and bought myself a bouquet of flowers just because. I sat on the grass overlooking the stone arch bridge, sipped on my coffee and just knew that life was going to be good.

Why did you start this blog:
Superficial Answer: Because many of my friends come to me for the "superficial" advice. Plus, I am a loyal instagram/blog follower so I figured it was my turn to give back to the community and create some content.
What Lies Beneath: When my Target work wife officially dubbed me her "superficial life coach" I snagged the domain name and decided it sounded like a pretty good place to start. That was 8 months before I even began writing this intro page but really, I just thought it would be a fun, creative outlet for me. I was really into my livejournal back in 2003 (let's pray that's not still somewhere out on the interwebs) and figured this could be the modern day version. Plus it's a great excuse to improve my insta-story skills which who doesn't love??

Comments